There are four ways to apply for the Physical HealthChoices Program:
You can apply for or renew your Medical Assistance benefits online by using COMPASS
. With COMPASS, you can also check your eligibility before you apply.
You can apply by telephone for health care coverage by calling the Consumer Service Center for Health Care Coverage at 1-866-550-4355.
Or, you can download an application form to send to your county assistance office
. If you need help completing the application form, a county assistance office staff member can help you. Click on the link to download an application.
Medicaid eligible individuals enrolled in the program are automatically enrolled in the HC-BH program in the county of their residence. To find a county MH/DS office visit the Pennsylvania Association of County Administrators of Mental Health and Developmental Services.
Individuals WILL be enrolled in CHC if they are 21 years old or over and are:
- Receiving both Medicare and Medicaid
- Receiving LTSS in the Attendant Care, Independence, COMMCARE, or Aging waivers
- Receiving services in the OBRA waiver AND determined nursing facility clinically eligible
- Receiving care in a nursing home paid for by Medicaid
- An Act 150 participant who is dually eligible for Medicare and Medicaid
Individuals are NOT eligible for CHC if they are:
- Receiving LTSS in the OBRA waiver and are NOT nursing facility clinically eligible
- An Act 150 program participant, who is not dually eligible for Medicare and Medicaid
- A person with an intellectual or developmental disability who is receiving services through the DHS’ Office of Developmental Programs
- A resident in a state-operated nursing facility, including the state veterans’ homes